Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Genealogist's Valentine's Day

My husband gave me the sweetest gift this morning for Valentine's Day: a card containing two money orders for death certificates. (Two because the certificates I need are in two different cities.) Such a morbid gift that only a genealogist could love, huh? ;)

I'm spending today filing this never-ending stack of papers and thinking about how these people I'm researching met their loved ones. It makes me sad to know I'll never *really* know how most of them met. I can make assumptions - did they go to the same church? Have a mutual family friend who introduced them? Work at the same company? Both members of the local book club? But the real stories of how they met, how they fell in love... I'll never know.

How many romantic stories are lost to time? Do you know how your parents met? Or how Grandpa finally won Grandma over and convinced her to marry him? I wish I had asked.

No comments:

Post a Comment