Friday, August 6, 2010

Follow Friday - Findagrave.com

I'm sure just about everyone in the genealogical community knows and loves Find A Grave, but I'd like to take a moment to talk about it.

Two weeks ago a tornado came through Randolph, New York here in Cattaraugus County. While there were no fatalities (that I've heard), there was an outstanding amount of damage. One of those places damaged was the Randolph Cemetery. Trees were uprooted, snapped in half like twigs, and headstones were broken. Some of these stones date back to the Revolutionary War. The Painted Hills Genealogy Society has posted several photographs of the damage in the cemetery. It is absolutely heartbreaking. This article from the Buffalo News states that an estimated 65 headstones were damaged during the storm.

(Photograph from http://ww2.cattco.org/news/20101204-2010-tornado-viewer)

This is why I think websites like findagrave.com are so very important to the genealogical community. Who knows how long we'll have access to these cemeteries? The genealogical societies in my county have been wonderful about transcribing cemetery records on their websites, but there are so many cemeteries that are being lost to time, erosion, natural disasters, and graffiti each and every year.

So why not get out there this weekend and take a couple of pictures in your local cemetery? Fill a request or two, or set up a memorial page for a loved one who has passed on. Help preserve our cemeteries for the future.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. Findagrave.com is one of my favorite resources online. I haven't been able to add too many pictures recently, but it's one of the most rewarding things that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thought. I so appreciate those that have taken pictures for me back east. I will never get back to see in person. I love helping in this area too. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so nice to have another blogger, and personally for me, one that lives in New York, which is where I am currently working on many lines. Welcome aboard, and I look forward in reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you through Geneabloggers - congrats on getting setup! I agree that Findagrave.com is a wonderful resource!! Good luck and happy huntings,

    thefamilyorchard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete